Domain Name News - March 14, 2010
ICANN Meetings In Nairobi Conclude - Among the many announcements and resolutions during the ICANN meetings in Nairobi on March 8-12 were the following:
- The ICANN Board decided to withdraw a proposal for formal Expressions Of Interest (EOI) which would have been carried out in advance of the new gTLD application process.
- The Board resolved that there will be strict registry/registrar separation in the new gTLD process, with no co-ownership allowed. Also if a policy becomes available from the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO), it will be considered for adoption.
- In support of trademark protection, the Board decided to include provisions for an Intellectual Property Clearinghouse, a Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) system, and also a Post Delegation Dispute Resolution Procedure (PDDRP) in the next version of the new gTLD Draft Applicant Guidebook.
- Progress was made on several aspects of IDN TLDs, including the possibility of IDN gTLDs with fewer than three characters, IDN variants, and synchronized IDN ccTLDs for countries with more than one official language or script.
- Concerning the Independent Review Panel's finding against the ICANN Board's handling of the .XXX TLD application, it was resolved to produce and post for public comment a report of possible process options.
Information about all of the meeting sessions is available at the ICANN Nairobi website.
Picks To Click
- The ccNSO wrote to ICANN CEO and President Rod Beckstrom expressing concern over his "inflammatory comments to governmental representatives" concerning the security of the DNS. Beckstrom made the comments in Nairobi at a joint meeting of the ICANN Board and the Governmental Advisory Committee.
- Monday, March 15 is the last day to enter the showusyour.ca contest.
- The .UK registry is conducting a consultation on the release of one- and two-character and other reserved .uk domain names.
- The website for the upcoming Brussels ICANN meetings is now available.
- Mon, Mar 15 - last day for showusyour.ca contest entries
- Mon, Mar 29 - last day for comments on two ICANN DNS security proposals
- Fri, Apr 2: last day for applications to the ICANN Nominating Committee
- Fri, Apr 2: last day for comments on Introduction of IDN ccTLDs interim paper
- Sun, Jun 20 - Fri, Jun 25: ICANN meetings in Brussels, Belgium
- Thu, Jul 1: registry fee increases for .com/.net take effect