New gTLD Applications Announced – ICANN has announced the names of the 1930 new top-level domain applications, together with other information including the public portions of the applications themselves. A 60-day comment period has begun, and a number of comments and informal objections have already been posted. Analyses and breakdowns of the applications are appearing; one such is available at dotWhat.co. The new gTLD program will be the topic of much discussion at the Prague ICANN meetings later this month, including a session on planning for the next gTLD round.
CIRA Highlights IDN Plans for .CA – The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) has released highlights of how it plans to implement Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) in .CA domain names. The result of extensive study and public consultation, the plan describes how French characters will be supported in .CA domain registrations. An important aspect of the plan is in how all of the possible character variants of a domain name will be bundled together.
Picks To Click
- Michael Geist comments on the new gTLD program.
- CIRA has announced that it will provide support for the development of OpenDNSSEC, an open source tool which simplifies the implementation and management of the Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC).
- AFNIC, manager of France’s .fr domain, has published its 2011 annual report.
- JPRS has posted Japan’s .jp domain registry report for 2011.
- Sun, Jun 24 – Fri, Jun 29: ICANN meetings in Prague, Czech Republic
- Tue, Jul 31 – Mon, Aug 13: call for Member Nominees for CIRA Board election
- Thu, Aug 23 – Thu, Sep 6: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Tue, Sep 11 – Tue, Sep 18: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Wed, Sep 19 – Wed, Sep 26: CIRA Board of Directors election