Domain Name Registrations Top 215 Million – At the end of June, 2011, there were more than 215 million domain name registrations worldwide, according to the latest Domain Name Industry Brief published by VeriSign. This represents an annual growth of 16.9 million or 8.6%. The annual growth as reported three months ago was 15.3 million or 7.9%. Registrations from the ccTLDs stood at 84.6 million, an 8.4% annual increase. The ten largest domains are: .com, .de, .net, .uk, .org, .info, .nl, .cn, .eu, and .ru, with China (.cn) moving from ninth to eighth place.
Picks To Click
- Shows of Support for Member Nominees in the 2011 CIRA elections may be registered until 6:00 pm Eastern Time on Thursday, September 8. To be included on the ballot, a nominee must receive the support of at least 20 CIRA Members.
- The Association of Canadian Advertisers (ACA) has joined a number of other advertiser organizations in “demanding that proposed changes to the Top-Level Domain (TLD) program be scrapped“.
- France’s .fr domain turned 25 on September 2.
- European Commission calls for greater government control over Internet”, by Kieren McCarthy of .nxt.
- Nominet, the .uk registry, is seeking feedback on draft recommendations on “Dealing with domain names used in connection with criminal activity”.
- The sunrise phase for the new .xxx domain begins on Wednesday, September 7.
- Thu, Aug 25 – Thu, Sep 8: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Tue, Sep 13 – Tue, Sep 20: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Tue, Sep 20: CIRA Annual General Meeting in Vancouver
- Wed, Sep 21 – Wed, Sep 28: CIRA Board of Directors election
- Sun, Oct 23 – Fri, Oct 28: ICANN meetings in Dakar, Senegal
- Sun, Jan 15: .com, .net registry fees increase