Cybersquatting Lawsuits Being Filed – An International Trademark Association (INTA) article states that INTA members Dell, Microsoft, Time Warner, Wal-Mart and Yahoo intend “to pursue individual legal actions against a total of 22 cybersquatting operations to provide a more secure online experience and to prevent the violation of genuine trademark rights.”
Internet Commerce Assocation Announces Domain Name Code of Conduct – The Internet Commerce Association has announced a code of conduct to guide its members “in conducting their domain name investment and development activities with professionalism, respect and integrity.” Issues covered include: protection of intellectual property rights, domain name tasting, domain name kiting, strict adherence to Internet fraud laws, access to accurate WHOIS data, lawful content, respect for human suffering and victims of tragedy, and protection of names of persons.
German Registry Puts New Computer Centre Into Operation – DENIC, the registry for Germany’s .de domain, has announced the start of operation of a computer centre in Frankfurt, Germany, the first of two new computer centres from which .de domains will be administered in the future. Interestingly, the other computer centre is to be located in another country: in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
.MOBI Registry to Auction Premium Domain Names – dotMobi, registry operator for the .mobi domain, will be making several hundred premium .mobi names available through a series of three online auctions. The names are from a pool of approximately 5,500 set aside by dotMobi prior to the registry’s launch a year ago. The first auction of 100 names commences on Wednesday, September 26 and will last for one week.
Picks To Click
- A BBC article on the benefits of the .tk domain to the island nation of Tokelau.
- Ireland’s .ie registry is relaxing the rules for personal .ie domain names.
- The results of the CIRA Board of Directors election are scheduled to be posted on or before Friday, September 21.
- ICANN posts an issues paper to assist in developing its 2008-2011 Strategic Plan.
- ICANN posts the schedule for its upcoming Los Angeles meeting on October 29 to November 2. The meeting will include a tribute to Vint Cerf on Tuesday, October 30.
- The September edition of the ICANN Magazine is available.
- Patrik Faltstrom maps the locations of the root servers. (Thanks to CircleID.)