This great article was recently published by our friends at Small Business BC. It tackles a subject that many small businesses struggle with – how to make small, incremental improvements to an existing website that have real impact on search results and customer experience.
10 Ways to Improve Your Small Business Website
By Mark Tempest
How well is your website performing? Many small business owners do well with their website through word of mouth and referrals, however, as we all know, Google can be picky about what it displays in its search results, and that’s key to helping new customers discover your business. Below are 10 quick tips of how you can improve your website for both search and your potential customers.
1. Make sure every webpage on your site has a unique Page Title that contains the keywords that you would expect someone to use when searching for the page or product. If you need some ideas about which words people might use to search for your business, use Google’s Keyword tool to give you suggestions.
2. If you have an About Us page – make sure that the page title includes your company name e.g. About Small Business BC.
3. Include your company’s full business name and address on every page in the footer of the website to increase your chance of being included in local search engine results and on Google Maps.
4. Make sure you have installed Google Analytics and use it. Track a couple of key metrics about your website each month, such as how many people from your local area have visited and how many visits did the website receive from search engines?
5. If you want to be found locally for a specific service, make sure you put your location in the page title of the very front page of your website. For example rather than “Acme Plumbers inc” consider “Vancouver Plumber: Acme Plumbers Inc” as potential clients will be searching for Vancouver Plumber, not your company name.
Small Business BC is a champion for British Columbia’s small businesses and the province’s premiere resource centre for knowledge-based business products and services.