Member Nominees Seek Shows Of Support For CIRA Election – CIRA has published the names and statements of Member Nominees in the forthcoming CIRA Board of Directors election. To be included on the ballot, a nominee must receive the support of at least 20 CIRA Members. This year, a CIRA Member may show support for up to two nominees. Shows of Support may be registered until 6:00 pm Eastern Time on Thursday, September 6.
CIRA Annual General Meeting To Be Held On September 18 – Registration is open for the CIRA Annual General Meeting, to be held on Tuesday, September 18 in Ottawa. Keynote speakers are Biz Stone, co-founder of Twitter, and Scott Stratten, president of Un-Marketing. A prize draw will be held for CIRA Members in attendance, and registration is free to all, both members and non-members. The event will also be webcast.
Picks To Click
- ICANN has issued a New gTLD update including a new milestone timeline.
- The Austrian registry’s latest .at report includes survey results on new TLDs indicating that users will continue to put their faith in existing domains.
- The second-level domain .kiwi.nz has been approved. Presently the .nz domain has a limited number of second-level domains such as .org.nz and .co.nz, with domain registrations taking place at the third level. There has also been an application for .kiwi under ICANN’s new gTLD program, and concern has been expressed that the possible existence of both .kiwi and .kiwi.nz will be confusing.
- A proposal to allow second-level domain registrations under .nz is under review, with public consultation workshops being held this month and next. To date, submissions have been evenly divided for and against the proposal.
- A post by Paul Andersen, CIRA Board Chair, on the recent outreach on changes to CIRA’s governance structure and processes.
- The first Australian Internet Governance Forum will be held in October.
- Thu, Aug 23 – Thu, Sep 6: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Tue, Sep 11 – Tue, Sep 18: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Wed, Sep 19 – Wed, Sep 26: CIRA Board of Directors election
- Sun, Oct 14 – Fri, Oct 19: ICANN meetings in Toronto