CIRA Announces Community Investment Program Recipients - The Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) has announced the first recipients in its Community Investment Program. The program was launched earlier this year "to provide funding to community groups, not-for-profits and academic institutions for projects they could demonstrate would enhance the Internet for the benefit of all Canadians." A total of 149 applications were reviewed, with 28 initiatives receiving funding. Projects include creating an e-mentoring platform, understanding the impact of new technologies on the courts, helping to establish the Halifax Internet Exchange, developing an interactive multi-media atlas for the purpose of repatriating Inuit cultural knowledge collected by the 5th Thule Expedition (1921-1924), and producing a digital literacy framework for Canadian elementary schools.
Picks To Click
- According to nTLDStats, new gTLD registrations are approaching 900,000, with the top three domains being .club, .guru, and .berlin.
- ICANN's New gTLD contracting statistics indicate that as of May 30, 426 New gTLD Registry Agreements have been signed, an increase of 6 since May 9. A total of 1131 applicants have been invited to Contracting.
- CIRA will be holding a member event in Ottawa on June 17.
- Second-level domain registrations under .uk, e.g. xyz.uk, will be available as of June 10.
- Sun, Jun 22 - Thu, Jun 26: ICANN meetings in London