In this year’s Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) Board of Directors election, three Directors will be elected from the Nomination Committee slate, and one Director will be elected from the Members’ slate.
The Nomination Committee slate, announced on July 28, consists of Joseph Abley, Bill Baines, Karima Bawa, Kerry Brown, Monique Létourneau, Susan Mehinagic, Paula Minnikin, and Faye West. Information about each candidate is available.
The call for Members to nominate prospective candidates is open until 2 p.m. on Wednesday, August 13. In order to be listed on the Members’ slate, nominees must receive the support of 20 CIRA Members.
Picks To Click
- According to nTLDStats, new gTLD registrations have surpassed 1.8 million. The top five new domains are .xyz, .berlin, .club, .guru, and .wang.
- ICANN has filed a Motion to Quash in a U.S. legal action aimed at seizing top-level domains. ICANN has told the court that “a country code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD) cannot be considered ‘property,’ and thus cannot be attached by plaintiffs in a lawsuit, who are trying to obtain the assets of countries that they argued have supported terrorism.”
- Nigel Roberts summarizes and comments on the recent ICANN court filing.
- A Name Collision Occurrence Management Framework has been approved for ICANN’s New gTLD Program. The framework is “designed to mitigate the impact of name collisions in the domain name system (DNS), which typically occur when fully qualified domain names conflict with similar domain names used in private networks.”
- The ICANN Board has extended the contract of President and CEO Fadi Chehadé by two years to June 30, 2017. The base salary increases by 12.5% to 630,000 USD, and an at-risk component of compensation of up to 270,000 USD is available.
- Wed, Jul 30 – Wed, Aug 13: call for Member Nominees for CIRA Board election
- Tue, Aug 26 – Tue, Sep 9: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Wed, Sep 10 – Wed, Sep 17: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Wed, Sep 17 – Wed, Sep 24: CIRA Board of Directors election
- Sun, Oct 12 – Thu, Oct 16: ICANN meetings in Los Angeles