CIRA To Fund Canadian Internet Enhancement Projects – As part of its Community Investment Program, the Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) has announced that it will provide up to $1,000,000 this year to community groups, not-for-profits, and academic institutions for “projects they can demonstrate will enhance the Internet for the benefit of all Canadians.” Qualifying funding amounts may range from $25,000 to $100,000. The application period runs from February 3 until February 28.
Picks To Click
- Nominet, the .uk registry, has announced that as of June 10 people will be able to register second-level .uk domain names, e.g. example.uk, alongside existing third-level domain names such as example.co.uk and example.org.uk.
- Norid, Norway’s .no registry, has opened a public hearing until March 11 on whether private individuals should be able to register domain names directly under .no. Presently, qualified individuals may register under priv.no.
- CIRA has launched the .CA Marketplace, allowing visitors “to research companies that best meet their needs in registering, hosting and building a .CA website.”
- ICANN’s Nominating Committee is inviting applications for positions on the ICANN Board, the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO) council, and the Country-Code Names Supporting Organization (ccNSO) council.
- Sun, Mar 23 – Thu, Mar 27: ICANN meetings in Singapore
- Sun, Jun 22 – Thu, Jun 26: ICANN meetings in London