Some domain name items from the past week:
- VeriSign will increase the .com and .net registry (wholesale) fees effective July 1, 2010. The .com fee will increase from $USD 6.86 to $7.34, and the .net fee will increase from $4.23 to $4.65.
- Twitter.com’s DNS settings were hijacked temporarily on December 17.
- ICANN is seeking comments on a draft model for soliciting Expressions of Interest for new gTLDs. Participation in the EOI would be mandatory for new gTLD applicants.
- ICANN seeks comments on a revised recommendation to protect trademarks in the new gTLDs, via a Trademark Clearinghouse and a Uniform Rapid Suspension procedure. A significant effort went into reaching the unanimous recommendation.
- DNS expert Cricket Liu has posted a DNS year in review.
- DotAsia has published draft IDN launch policies for .asia.
- Wed, Dec 30: last day for participation in ICANN 2010-2013 strategic plan survey
- Fri, Jan 8: last day for comments on variants and 3-character IDN TLDs
- Thu, Jan 21: last day for comments on ICANN draft 2010-2013 strategic plan
- Tue, Jan 26: last day for comments on report on trademark protection in new gTLDs
- Wed, Jan 27: last day for comments on ICANN draft EOI model for new gTLDs
- Sun, Mar 7 – Fri, Mar 12: ICANN meetings in Nairobi, Kenya
- Fri, Apr 2: last day for applications to the ICANN Nominating Committee
- Sun, Jun 20 – Fri, Jun 25: ICANN meetings in Brussels, Belgium
- Thu, Jul 1: registry fee increases for .com/.net take effect