Domain Name Registrations Reach 276 Million Worldwide - According to VeriSign's recent Domain Name Industry Brief, the first quarter of 2014 closed with more than 276 million domain name registrations worldwide, an annual growth rate of 7.5%. The rate as reported three months ago was 7.3%. Total ccTLD registrations were 127.1 million, a 13.1% year-over-year increase. The ten largest domains are: .com, .tk (Tokelau), .de (Germany), .net, .uk (United Kingdom), .org, .cn (China), .ru (Russian Federation), .info, and .nl (Netherlands). The .ru domain has moved up one place in the rankings during the past three months.
Member Nominees To Seek Shows of Support for CIRA Election - On Tuesday, August 26, CIRA will publish the names of Member nominees together with their election statements, and CIRA members will be called on to show support for their preferred nominees. In order to be listed on the CIRA Board of Directors election ballot, a Member nominee must receive at least 20 shows of support.
Picks To Click
- According to nTLDStats, new gTLD registrations have surpassed two million. The top five new domains are .xyz, .berlin, .club, .guru, and .wang.
- In his blog post "Prepare for the worst, but hope for the best", CIRA President and CEO Byron Holland comments on the importance and timing of an IANA stewardship transition proposal.
- The annual meeting of the Internet Governance Forum will be held in Istanbul, Turkey on September 2-5.
- Tue, Aug 26 - Tue, Sep 9: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Wed, Sep 10 - Wed, Sep 17: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Wed, Sep 17 - Wed, Sep 24: CIRA Board of Directors election
- Sun, Oct 12 - Thu, Oct 16: ICANN meetings in Los Angeles