.ASIA Landrush Under Way – The landrush period for the new .asia domain was launched on February 20. A total of 266,663 landrush applications were received within the first 24 hours. The landrush period continues until March 12, and general first-come first-served registration is scheduled to begin on March 26.
Public Hearing On ICANN/DOC Mid-Term Review February 28 – On Thursday, February 28, a public meeting will be held to discuss the mid-term review of the Joint Project Agreement between the U.S. Department of Commerce and ICANN. The meeting will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon Eastern time, and will be webcast.
Picks To Click
- The Government of Canada’s submission concerning the midterm review of the Joint Project Agreement between ICANN and the U.S. Department of Commerce.
- The Bank of Montreal wins a dispute over bmofield.ca.
- Edward Hasbrouck comments on the sale of the .travel registry.
- Vint Cerf, Internet pioneer and co-inventor of the TCP/IP protocol suite, and Martin Hellman, co-inventor of public-key cryptography, have agreed to serve on VeriSign’s newly formed Scientific Advisory Board.
- Wed, Feb 20 – Wed, Mar 12: .asia domain landrush
- Tue, Feb 26: last day for comments on fast-tracking a limited number of IDN ccTLDs
- Thu, Feb 28: U.S. DoC public meeting on ICANN Joint Project Agreement
- Fri, Mar 7: last day for comments on the effect of new gTLDs on the DNS
- Wed, Mar 26: .asia domain first-come-first-served registrations begin
- Tue, Apr 15: last day for applications to the ICANN Nominating Comittee
- Sun, Jun 22 – Fri, Jun 27: ICANN meetings in Paris, France