The IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG) met in London last week. The group is responsible for preparing a proposal to the U.S. National Telecommunications and Information Adminstration (NTIA) for transitioning NTIA's stewardship of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) functions to the Internet community. The IANA functions can be divided into three main categories: domain names, number resources, and other protocol parameters. The group produced a draft charter and discussed a draft timeline for development of the transition proposal. A statement from the first meeting was published.
Picks To Click
- Milton Mueller, a member of the IANA Stewardship Transition Coordination Group (ICG), comments on the ICG's recent meeting in London.
- According to nTLDStats, new gTLD registrations have surpassed 1.6 million, with the top three new domains being .xyz, .berlin, and .club.
- ICANN's New gTLD contracting statistics indicate that as of July 14, 471 New gTLD Registry Agreements have been signed, and a total of 1150 applicants have been invited to Contracting.
- As of September 30, people will be allowed to register second-level .nz domain names, e.g. xyz.nz. Existing options such as .co.nz, .org.nz, and .govt.nz will continue to be available.
- Wed, Jul 30 - Wed, Aug 13: call for Member Nominees for CIRA Board election
- Tue, Aug 26 - Tue, Sep 9: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Wed, Sep 10 - Wed, Sep 17: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Wed, Sep 17 - Wed, Sep 24: CIRA Board of Directors election
- Sun, Oct 12 - Thu, Oct 16: ICANN meetings in Los Angeles