ICANN Board Approves Revised Registrar Agreement – ICANN’s Board of Directors has approved [PDF] a new version [PDF] of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA), a standard contract to be executed between ICANN and each accredited registrar. Some of the notable changes from the previous contract are: registrar points-of-contact for reporting abuse, verification and validation of domain registrant (WHOIS) data, establishment of registrar responsibility for reseller compliance, and enhanced compliance tools. The 2013 RAA will be required for registrars to sell new gTLD names, and in future it may also apply for some existing gTLDs.
ICANN Adopts Resolutions on Closed Generic TLDs, Singular/Plural TLDs – The ICANN Board, through its New gTLD Program Committee (NGPC), has adopted additional resolutions concerning formal advice submitted by the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) in April, including one to defer moving forward with closed generic gTLD applications pending a dialogue with the GAC, and one to make no changes to allowing applications for singular and plural versions of the same new gTLD string. The NGPC is scheduled to meet again on July 2.
Picks To Click
- “PRISM, Internet Exchange Points and Canada”, by Byron Holland of CIRA.
- Nominet, registry for the .uk domain, has launched a revised proposal for second level .uk domain name registrations, e.g. example.uk.
- The Internet Hall of Fame has announced its 2013 inductees.
- Sun, Jul 14 – Thu, Jul 18: ICANN meetings in Durban, South Africa.
- Mon, Jul 29 – Mon, Aug 12: call for Member Nominees for CIRA Board election
- Wed, Aug 21 – Wed, Sep 4: shows of support for Member Nominees for CIRA election
- Sun, Sep 1: .biz, .info registry fees increase
- Mon, Sep 9 – Mon, Sep 16: online forum for CIRA Board of Directors election
- Mon, Sep 16: CIRA Annual General Meeting in Montreal
- Mon, Sep 16 – Mon, Sep 23: CIRA Board of Directors election