ICANN Meets This Week In Los Angeles – ICANN is holding meetings in Los Angeles until Friday, November 2. A website provides updated information, and many events are being webcast. Among the topics to be addressed are:
- an open meeting of the Security and Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC) including a presentation on “domain name front running” which considers “the opportunity for a party with some form of insider information to anticipate an Internet user’s preference for registering a domain name and preemptively register that name.”
- a tribute to outgoing Board chair Vint Cerf
- frameworks for ICANN’s accountability and transparency
- improvements to the Generic Names Supporting Organization (GNSO)
- the 2008-2011 strategic plan
Single-Letter And Single-Digit Domain Names Being Considered – ICANN has begun a forum on “potential allocation methods for single-letter and single-digit domain names at the second level in gTLD registries. Examples include a.com, i.info, 4.mobi, 8.org. Since revenue will result from this allocation, comments regarding the potential uses for this revenue are also requested.” Such domain names are currently reserved, although six single-character names (q.com, x.com, z.com, i.net, q.net and x.org) had previously been registered.
NeuStar To Continue Operating The .US Registry – The National Telelecommunications and Information Administration, part of the U.S. Department of Commerce, has renewed NeuStar’s contract to manage the .US domain registry. The renewal is a three-year agreement with two one-year options. A joint venture backed by GoDaddy and Afilias had also competed for the contract.
Picks To Click
- The Gowlings Domain Name Law Portal–A Review of Domain Name and Trademark Law.
- The minutes of the September 6, 2007 meeting of the CIRA Board of Directors.
- ICANN publishes a fact sheet on IPv6.
- Tue, Oct 9 – Tue, Oct 30: .asia registry sunrise for registered marks
- Mon, Oct 29 – Fri, Nov 2: ICANN meetings in Los Angeles
- Wed, Oct 31: last day for responses to second Nominet governance consultation
- Mon, Nov 12: last day for submissions to .nz domain policy review
- Tue, Nov 13 – Tue, Jan 15: .asia registry sunrise for marks, extended marks, entity names
- Thu, Nov 15: last day for submissions on single character domain names
- Mon, Nov 19: last day for submissions on the ICANN gTLD registry failover plan
- Wed, Dec 19: last day for submissions to .nz IDN consultation
- Sun, Feb 10 – Fri, Feb 15: ICANN meetings in Delhi
- Sun, Jun 22 – Fri, Jun 27: ICANN meetings in Paris